GIRLS IN AVIATION DAY DETAILS
It’s that time of year again for the Mobile’s 2nd Girls in Aviation Day (GIAD) event, hosted by the Association for Women in Aviation Maintenance (AWAM) Gulf Coast Chapter 22. This year’s main event will take place at the Optimist Boys & Girls club down the road from Brookley - downtown airport, with tours at Airbus and Signature Flight Support FBO.
Who can register:
• Girls ages 8-16 years old with a parent.
• Volunteers (once registered will email later with more instructions).
Event registration for attendees and volunteers:
• $15 for attendee and parent/adult- includes breakfast and lunch, gift bag, activities.
Time of event:
• Oct 13th 8:30-3:30pm
Airbus tour- if you want to tour the facility you must provide extra ID’s (standard screening procedure to all customers):
• After you register for the event please email Krystie- your driver’s license picture and passport picture/birth certificate (attendees and volunteers).
• Event is to help connect other girls and women who are excited about STEM subjects & Aviation!!
• Explore countless opportunities for careers in the aviation industry by speaking with individuals from a variety of companies and backgrounds.
• STEM activities: Flight simulators, build a plane, electronic circuit scribe/circuit boards, and mechanic bracelet-using different tools.
• Career stations: Aircraft Mechanic, Air Force Pilot, Flight Doctor, etc…
• Tour Airbus and Signature Flight Support FBO
• Special Guest Speaker- Mrs. Linda Taylor-Bethea
Head of Manufacturing Engineering facility in Mobile, AL.
• Resource tables for additional information.
Now in its fourth year as a global event, Girls in Aviation Day is designed to introduce and educate girls 8 to 17 years of age on the many career choices and lifestyle possibilities offered by the aviation/aerospace industry. In addition to over 50 Girls in Aviation events which will be presented from coast to coast here in the United States, the international chapters in WAI’s network will ensure Girls in Aviation Day is celebrated around the globe.
Last year, an estimated 9,700 girls participated in 74 separate events worldwide. That number of events has already been surpassed and will continue to grow through the Fall. In addition to WAI Chapters, WAI Corporate Members including Airbus, Cutter Aviation, Delta Air Lines, Eagle Aircraft Flight Academy, Experimental Aircraft Association, National Flight Academy, Signature Flight Support, and United Airlines are also planning events across the world. A growing list of Girls in Aviation Day events can be found at https://www.wai.org/events/girls-aviation-day-2018.
With a little more than a month to go, these are the countries in which international Girls in Aviation Day events have been confirmed:
Australia, Botswana, Canada (three events), France, Germany, Ghana, India (17 events), Ireland, Kenya, Netherlands, Nigeria (two events), Spain, United Kingdom, Zambia.
If you have any further questions please feel free to contact Kim Winner- personal cell @ 218-779-1298.